Saturday, 26 April 2008

Name says it all... does it?

Weather isn't treating me good these days, I'm down with flue, pharyngitis and sinusitis. Even though I'm an anti - antibiotic person, I had to take a full dose of Amoxicillin regardless of phobias for side effects. It's true that its bad when you know too much of everything.

Since school age I always wondered why I was named bodhini, infact I disliked my name for awhile. It created so much attention where ever I go because of the uniqueness and the rareness of it. Once I asked my Appachchi(Father) why he named me bodhini. According to him it's an indian name. He mentioned that there was a poem named Bodhini by Great Indian poet Kalidas . My sunday school "Pali" language teacher told me once that it sort of expressed the meaning of enlightenment in Sanskrit. (Yes, I studied Pali as a subject.)
So amidst all the studying, coughing and sneezing, I did a lil google search and found the meaning of my name (I've written my comments in brackets )

Your First Name of: Bodhini

  • Although the name Bodhini creates the urge to be reliable and responsible, we emphasize that it limits self-expression and friendly congeniality with a moody disposition.
  • Your first name of Bodhini has given you a rather quiet, reserved, serious, studious nature. ( if you say so :D )
  • You have sensitivity and appreciation for the finer and deeper things of life, the beauties of nature, music, art, and literature. (may be)
  • The people who mean the most to you are those who can offer you intellectual companionship. (for sure !)
  • This name, when combined with the last name, can frustrate happiness, contentment, and success, as well as cause health weaknesses in the heart, lungs, bronchial area, worry, and mental tension. (Another true fact, I hate sinuses and lungs, they r the origins of my miseries )
  • It is only when you are among those who understand your deeper nature that you can really be yourself. (that is so true)
  • The experience of having your remarks taken lightly or belittled, particularly during the early years of your life, has caused you to keep your thoughts and feelings to yourself.
  • You do not express yourself spontaneously when conversing with others; hence other people may often regard you as being aloof, and even unfriendly. (Nah ... I'm usually a straight talking person who speaks out my mind)

4 comments:

Dili said...

Good to know all of this. Forewarned is forearmed as they say. :)

Angel said...

Interesting post... and that you studied pali! Get well soon!

nidhahasa said...

හොදයි හොදයි නමේ තේරුම

amarasara said...

මට නම් ඔයිට වඩ වෙනස් තේරුමක් තමයි දෙන්න තියෙන්නෙ. බෝදිනී යන්නෙහි සිංහල තේරුම මේ විධිහයි.
මෙසේ පද බෙදුම ගත් විට
බෝ + දිනී = බොහෝ දිනුම් ඇත්තී
= බුද්ධිය දිනන්නී
= බොහෝ දේ දිනන්නී
නැතිනම්
බෝධි + නී
බෝදි + නී = බුද්ධියට නායිකාව, දැනුමට නායිකාව.
(උදා: හෙලනි, දේශානි)

මම තදින් විස්වාස කරන දෙයක් තියෙනවා. එනම් යම පදයකට යම් බසකින් අරුත් සැපයිය හැකිනම් හය එම බසහි පදයකි. එවිට ඔබේ නම ඉන්දියානු නාමයක් නොවන අතර එය සිංහල නමකි.